KEVIN MCCARTHY'S DALLAS DIGEST Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Randy Galloway signs off radio Monday
 Moderated by: Kevin McCarthy Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 11:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Bob Of Burleson
...And the smell of gunsmoke


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location:  
Posts: 40773
Status: 
Online
Mana: 



After decades on air,
Randy Galloway signs off
DFW sports radio Monday


By Robert Philpot
rphilpot@dfw.com


ARLINGTON — Randy Galloway is en route to the press box at Rangers Ballpark after finishing an edition of his radio sports-talk show Galloway and Company that originated from the Captain Morgan Club.

It’s a long walk from the center-field area to roughly behind home plate, and people stop him along the way, high-fiving him, saying hi.

The guy operating the press-box elevator tells Galloway he liked something he wrote that day, and numerous colleagues greet him as he finds a place to settle in for an interview, one in which Galloway, a veteran of nearly 30 years of Dallas-Fort Worth radio and nearly 50 in DFW media, is the subject, not the questioner.

Galloway, a columnist for the Star-Telegram, has given — and taken — a lot of heat over the years, but it’s clear from this walk that he’s developed a lot of fans and friends as one of the area’s longest-running sports media personalities.

But the broadcasting part of all that is coming to an end. Galloway, 70, is retiring from ESPN Radio after he signs off his show Monday, a couple of months earlier than a previously announced year-end date.

There will be no big fanfare or special on-location party, Galloway said Wednesday night. Sure, he’ll explain why he’s leaving and sign off with a “goodbye.” But otherwise, he said, it’s just another “regular show.”

Although the retirement comes at the same time that Cumulus Media will take over operations of ESPN/103.3 FM , Galloway’s on-air home since 2003, he has said that the timing is a coincidence and that he was willing to work through year-end for Cumulus. (ESPN/Disney still owns the station under the local marketing agreement.)

But his lawyer told him that, because his ESPN contract was non-transferable, he could get full salary and benefits through the end of the year without being on the air, if he chose not to work for Cumulus. Galloway then decided to leave as soon as the Cumulus agreement was finalized.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/02/5215842/after-decades-on-air-randy-galloways.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 12:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Gopher
Member


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: Far, Far, Far North Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 5284
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Not going to lie, he was my go to for sports talk pre Ticket. Good luck with your ponies and good health Sir!



____________________
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
FBO
Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 03:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Bob Of Burleson
...And the smell of gunsmoke


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location:  
Posts: 40773
Status: 
Online
Mana: 

Rangers GM wants
his own man sitting
next to Ron Washington


By Randy Galloway
rgalloway@star-telegram.com


On Randol Mill Road in Arlington, we have the perfect jock kingdom couple.

Jerry Jones and Jon Daniels.

One is a football guy. The other is a baseball guy. One is a billionaire, and the other makes a nice living. One answers only to himself, the other answers to owners who apparently have no questions.

Jon is a Jerry wanna be.

Jerry wanna be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Jon wanna be the manager of the Texas Rangers. And both want to do the coaching and the managing from high above the field in a luxury box.

Jerry’s power trip in Arlington is well-documented. Jon’s power trip in Arlington continues to gather immense steam.

Blame Game Alert! Blame Game Alert!

Daniels did us all a big favor Wednesday, and he did it in a hurry. Forget all that extensive research that was planned in attempting to fix blame for another miserable ending to a season by the local ballclub.

Less than 48 hours after the Rangers went meekly into winter, Daniels gave us his blame game answer:

Jackie Moore, the bench coach, who, oh, about three decades ago had already forgotten more about baseball than Daniels will ever know, was ousted by the Arlington baseball god.

Could be that Jon was jealous of all those dugout man-hugs between Wash and Jackie.

Or much more likely, Daniels wants a bench coach at Ron Washington’s dugout side who will constantly deliver the kind of situational message the general manager tells him to deliver.

Personally, I like the Marvin Gaye version of I’m Your Puppet.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/02/5215730/rangers-daniels-wants-his-own.html#storylink=cpy

Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 04:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Kent



Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location:  
Posts: 41272
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Bob Of Burleson wrote:

Rangers GM wants
his own man sitting
next to Ron Washington


By Randy Galloway
rgalloway@star-telegram.com


On Randol Mill Road in Arlington, we have the perfect jock kingdom couple.

Jerry Jones and Jon Daniels.

One is a football guy. The other is a baseball guy. One is a billionaire, and the other makes a nice living. One answers only to himself, the other answers to owners who apparently have no questions.

Jon is a Jerry wanna be.

Jerry wanna be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Jon wanna be the manager of the Texas Rangers. And both want to do the coaching and the managing from high above the field in a luxury box.

Jerry’s power trip in Arlington is well-documented. Jon’s power trip in Arlington continues to gather immense steam.

Blame Game Alert! Blame Game Alert!

Daniels did us all a big favor Wednesday, and he did it in a hurry. Forget all that extensive research that was planned in attempting to fix blame for another miserable ending to a season by the local ballclub.

Less than 48 hours after the Rangers went meekly into winter, Daniels gave us his blame game answer:

Jackie Moore, the bench coach, who, oh, about three decades ago had already forgotten more about baseball than Daniels will ever know, was ousted by the Arlington baseball god.

Could be that Jon was jealous of all those dugout man-hugs between Wash and Jackie.

Or much more likely, Daniels wants a bench coach at Ron Washington’s dugout side who will constantly deliver the kind of situational message the general manager tells him to deliver.

Personally, I like the Marvin Gaye version of I’m Your Puppet.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/02/5215730/rangers-daniels-wants-his-own.html#storylink=cpy

Wow!  I like it.

Is there a Steven Daniels?  How about a Jon Jr.?

Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 04:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
OnTexasTime
Member


Joined: Thu Oct 25th, 2007
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 18368
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kent wrote:
Bob Of Burleson wrote:

Rangers GM wants
his own man sitting
next to Ron Washington


By Randy Galloway
rgalloway@star-telegram.com


On Randol Mill Road in Arlington, we have the perfect jock kingdom couple.

Jerry Jones and Jon Daniels.

One is a football guy. The other is a baseball guy. One is a billionaire, and the other makes a nice living. One answers only to himself, the other answers to owners who apparently have no questions.

Jon is a Jerry wanna be.

Jerry wanna be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Jon wanna be the manager of the Texas Rangers. And both want to do the coaching and the managing from high above the field in a luxury box.

Jerry’s power trip in Arlington is well-documented. Jon’s power trip in Arlington continues to gather immense steam.

Blame Game Alert! Blame Game Alert!

Daniels did us all a big favor Wednesday, and he did it in a hurry. Forget all that extensive research that was planned in attempting to fix blame for another miserable ending to a season by the local ballclub.

Less than 48 hours after the Rangers went meekly into winter, Daniels gave us his blame game answer:

Jackie Moore, the bench coach, who, oh, about three decades ago had already forgotten more about baseball than Daniels will ever know, was ousted by the Arlington baseball god.

Could be that Jon was jealous of all those dugout man-hugs between Wash and Jackie.

Or much more likely, Daniels wants a bench coach at Ron Washington’s dugout side who will constantly deliver the kind of situational message the general manager tells him to deliver.

Personally, I like the Marvin Gaye version of I’m Your Puppet.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/02/5215730/rangers-daniels-wants-his-own.html#storylink=cpy

Wow!  I like it.

Is there a Steven Daniels?  How about a Jon Jr.?



while there is some truth in whats said for the moment, the difference is that Jerry Jones has his own checkbook and Jon Daniels is carrying someonelses.

Daniels is the fair-haired boy of his owners at the moment, but they could rein him in if they don't like the attention he gets



____________________
Never argue with a Moron, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Profit is not a four letter word!
Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 04:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
BigTex
Game Changer


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: Richardson, Texas USA
Posts: 54257
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but I've never had the feeling that JD wanted to manage the Rangers.



____________________
You can trust me. I have journalism training.
Back To Top

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2013 04:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Kent



Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location:  
Posts: 41272
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
It just hasn't been said day in and day out on the radio. I personally have never gotten the feeling (from Jerry) that Jerry wants to coach the Cowboys.

Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Oct 4th, 2013 05:55 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Will
Member


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 10150
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Bye RG!!!!:wave:

Don't Let The Door Hit Your Butt On The Way Out!!!:hooray:

Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Oct 4th, 2013 05:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
BigTex
Game Changer


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: Richardson, Texas USA
Posts: 54257
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Barry Horn:

ESPN 103.3 FM moving MLB games this afternoon to KAAM (770 AM) so Galloway can do his penultimate show. He's leaving 103.3 after Monday show



____________________
You can trust me. I have journalism training.
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Oct 4th, 2013 06:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Rock
Inner Circle


Joined: Wed Feb 23rd, 2005
Location: Lake Texoma
Posts: 9097
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Gopher wrote: Not going to lie, he was my go to for sports talk pre Ticket(along with Norm on KLIF). Good luck with your ponies and good health Sir!+1 :clap:

Last edited on Fri Oct 4th, 2013 06:10 pm by Rock

Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Oct 4th, 2013 07:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Grassman
Voice of Reason


Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location: Drought Stricken Texoma..............., Texas USA
Posts: 9452
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I blame Quervo gold.

Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Oct 4th, 2013 08:11 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
BillB

 

Joined: Sun Aug 18th, 2013
Location:  
Posts: 1882
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I always liked Galloway.
I remember his on-air feud with Mike Fisher, when Fish was on KLIF.



____________________
There are three kind of people: those who can count and those who can't.
Back To Top

 Posted: Fri Oct 4th, 2013 08:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
bodine
Member


Joined: Mon Oct 1st, 2007
Location: College Station, Texas USA
Posts: 3982
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Grassman wrote: I blame Quervo gold.

Heck, then share some...

 



____________________
“Live today as if you’re going to die tomorrow. Learn today as though you are going to live forever.” John Wooden, from Rick Rigsby
Back To Top

 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Kevin McCarthy
Benevolent Dictator


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: CABO SAN PLANO, Texas USA
Posts: 25992
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
from the early days of sports at six on wbap thru the years at espn, i'm really going to miss randy galloway on the radio...there will never be another "voice of the old grand praire"....this is the plaque espn gave him today after his final show...

Attachment: galloway plaque.jpg (Downloaded 31 times)



____________________
Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you've never been hurt, Work like you don't need the money and Live like it's Heaven on Earth!
Back To Top

 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:02 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Kevin McCarthy
Benevolent Dictator


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: CABO SAN PLANO, Texas USA
Posts: 25992
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/9764619/espn-dallas-celebrates-randy-galloway



____________________
Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you've never been hurt, Work like you don't need the money and Live like it's Heaven on Earth!
Back To Top

 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
Lannie



Joined: Wed Feb 23rd, 2005
Location: Paradise, Texas USA
Posts: 2936
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Feel sorry for those that lose their jobs when he leaves

Back To Top

 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
LEB
LEB


Joined: Sun Feb 27th, 2005
Location:  
Posts: 19470
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
A helluva run for nearly 30 years.   :clap:

Last edited on Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:08 am by LEB

Back To Top

 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Kevin McCarthy
Benevolent Dictator


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: CABO SAN PLANO, Texas USA
Posts: 25992
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Lannie wrote: Feel sorry for those that lose their jobs when he leaves
the program director, landry locker & miss kelly were all fired today in advance of the cumulus takeover...they would all have been fired regardless of randy leaving early....more heads will roll on the business side of things as cumulus does the thing they do best...cut expenses by firing people....:frown:



____________________
Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you've never been hurt, Work like you don't need the money and Live like it's Heaven on Earth!
Back To Top

 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Kent



Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location:  
Posts: 41272
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
today he actually said the Cowboys defense didn't play bad. That's when I turned it off. Good run, but not my cup of Quervo

Back To Top

 Posted: Tue Oct 8th, 2013 03:25 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Kevin McCarthy
Benevolent Dictator


Joined: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005
Location: CABO SAN PLANO, Texas USA
Posts: 25992
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Kent wrote: today he actually said the Cowboys defense didn't play bad. That's when I turned it off. Good run, but not my cup of Quervo
kent, i don't know what you heard but i listened to the whole show and he bashed the defense over & over & over....



____________________
Dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you've never been hurt, Work like you don't need the money and Live like it's Heaven on Earth!
Back To Top


 Current time is 06:13 pm
Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

Top



UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.6583 seconds (65% database + 35% PHP). 34 queries executed.